Sometimes you make a recipe that calls for half and half cream. You buy the carton of cream, use the amount needed in your recipe, and then wonder what to do with the rest of the cream sitting in your fridge.
If you drink coffee, the answer regarding leftover half and half cream is obvious. Pour a small splash into your cuppa to add richness.
However, if you’re like me and don’t drink coffee, you’ll have to find other uses for your cream.
The best advice for using up half and half cream is to use it in place of milk in other recipes. It can be used in everything from soups to casseroles to waffle batter. Be careful not to overcook it or it may curdle, but if you’re adding it near the end of cook time, you should be good.
Ways to use half and half cream in place of milk:
- Add it to boxed or homemade macaroni and cheese in place of regular milk to make extra-rich mac and cheese.
- Add it to banana bread batter or other quick bread batters in place of milk.
- Put it in homemade alfredo or white sauce in place of regular milk. It will make your sauce richer.
- Put a splash in your tea to add some creaminess. Cream isn’t just for coffee.
- Add a few tablespoons to beaten eggs for extra fluffy scrambled eggs.
- Use it in place of milk in pancake batter.
- Use it instead of water or milk when making instant oatmeal or homemade stove top oatmeal.
- Add a splash to beaten egg batter for French toast.
- Add it to creamy soups in place of milk. It even works well mixed with canned Campbell’s tomato soup.
- Use it to make ultra-rich hot chocolate.
I also get creative with other types of milk or milk substitutes. I recently used banana bread. My family couldn’t tell the difference. With sweetened milks like coconut milk, it’s best to stick with using them in dessert recipes or other recipes where a little added sweetness will be okay. Feel free to experiment with almond milk as well.in a curry chicken recipe, but I was left with a large amount of coconut milk after I made dinner, so I used the coconut milk in place of regular milk when I made
Also, if I have leftover after I’ve made a recipe, I sometimes use it just like I use leftover half and half cream. Heavy whipping cream turns anything into a decadent treat, and it’s especially good if you pour a dash of it into your coffee or tea. I also like to turn it into homemade whipped cream. It is quick and easy to make homemade whipped cream, and you’ll never think the same about the canned stuff afterward.
What are your favorite ways to use up cream or other milk-like products? Share your ideas in the comments below.