When you think of muffins, you usually think of sweet flavors such as blueberries or cinnamon and brown sugar. However, some of the best muffins I’ve eaten have been savory, filled with bacon and cheese.
The recipe below was given to me by a friend who cooks up weekly breakfasts for people at the small church he attends. Before the service every Sunday, he and his small kitchen team provide breakfast at no charge to church visitors and members alike, with a basket for cash donations off to the side with 100% going to various mission organizations. When my friend offered my family some of these bacon cheddar muffins, I was skeptical at first, thinking a blueberry muffin might be more appealing. My husband took a chance on the savory muffins, and I tried a bite and was hooked. My friend jotted down the recipe for me, and it has become a family favorite.
These bacon cheddar muffins are surprisingly delicious, hearty, and filling. They’re great for breakfast or brunch, and they’re easy enough to whip up at home on a lazy weekend morning yet good enough to serve at a bridal or baby shower or at any breakfast- or brunch-themed potluck gathering. If you serve them at an event, you’re not likely to have leftovers.
Bacon Cheddar Muffins
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk (I use half and half cream if I have some in my fridge that needs to be used.)
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar is recommended, but I used mild because it’s what I had.)
- 1 lb. of bacon, cooked and cut or crumbled
- approximately 1/3 cup bacon drippings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine egg, flour, brown sugar, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add cheese, bacon, and bacon drippings and stir well to combine.
- Grease a muffin tin and fill with the muffin batter mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.