Lemon curd is a delicious addition to scones or toast. This sunshine-yellow fruity spread has its origins in England in the late 1800s or early 1900s, where it was served as an alternative to jam during afternoon tea. Lemon curd would be spread on bread and scones, or it would be used as a filling for cake, pastry, or tarts.
Lemon curd has a higher ratio of juice and/or zest compared to traditional pie fillings or custard. That means it’s more flavorful. If your lemon curd includes butter, that also means it will have a more smooth and creamy texture compared to custards or pie fillings.
I recently picked up a jar of lemon curd at the grocery store. I like lemon-flavored foods, but other than spreading lemon curd on some scones, I wasn’t quite sure what else I could do with my jar of lemon curd. Cue the internet. Fortunately, there are a lot of things you can do with this smooth and tasty spread made from fruit, egg yolks, and sugar.
What to do with lemon curd:
- Spread it on scones, muffins, crumpets, English muffins, bagels, or bread.
- Put it on toast.
- Use it as a topping on waffles or pancakes.
- Put it on top of cheesecake.
- Stir some into yogurt.
- Make lemon meringue pie. Here’s a recipe that shows you how to make your own lemon curd for the pie, or you can use store-bought lemon curd.
- Use it to fill lemon cupcakes. Here’s a recipe.
- Make lemon bars. Here’s a recipe to follow that calls for a jar of store-bought lemon curd.
- Dip shortbread, sugar, or butter cookies in it.
- Bake lemon curd into a cake. Find a recipe here.
- Layer it in a parfait with yogurt, fruit, whipped cream, and or cake or cookie pieces.
- Spread it between cake layers. Here’s a recipe that uses jars of lemon curd.
- Fold some whipped cream into lemon curd for a fluffier filling for cake, cream puffs, or tarts. Or simply serve atop berries.
- Use it as a filling for macarons. Here’s a recipe where you make your own lemon curd for the macarons.
- Spoon some atop ice cream.
- Add it as filling in crepes. Find a recipe here with instructions on making your own lemon curd filling.
- Make lemony yogurt fruit dip.
- Use it as filling in tarts. Here’s a recipe if you want to make them all from scratch.
- Make microwave lemon mug cake.
- For a savory twist, make roasted chicken with lemon curd.
- Or just eat your lemon curd with a spoon right out of the jar!
The possibilities are almost endless. Now that I have lots of ideas for how to use my jar of lemon curd, I might need to buy a few more jars and stock up. How do you enjoy lemon curd? Let us know in the comments below.